Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This

So.........yesterday I go home, like I do after a very long day, and am just looking forward to relaxing. Much to my dismay there is a package sitting on the desk. The package that I hoped would never come. My daughter's graduation package containing her cap and gown and her graduation invitations. Needless to say the crying fest began and didn't stop until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I am truly not ready for this step in my daughter's life. I cried so much, not just because she is graduating and going out on her own, but because my kids are growing up way to fast. I heard a song the other day and it really hit home for me.....it's by Trace Adkins and it's titled "Your Gonna Miss This".
Chanelle has been quite the little traveler in the last couple weeks. She recently returned from Yuma Arizona where she spent her spring break courtesy of her grandparents. (side note: they spoiled her rotten.....as usual) At any rate, I went to Salt Lake City to pick her up on Monday, March 31st. She sent me a text message as soon as her plane was on the ground to make sure that I was waiting for her. She nearly knocked a man down the escalator when she saw me and took off running down the thing to get to me. We cried like we hadn't seen each other for months. We were fortunate enough to have her bag be the first out on the conveyor and we were off. We had made plans to stop and see Grant, my 14 year old son, in Clinton, Utah. We arrived at his house and spoke briefly with his father in the front yard before knocking on the door. This tall, extremely good looking kid answered the door and I about asked if Grant was home. Chanelle and I were stunned at how much he has changed since November. That was the last time he was able to come and stay with us. He has grown close to a foot since then. He has changed so much that even Dave didn't know who he was from a picture in my office. Dave asked me who the guy was hanging all over our daughter. He couldn't believe it was Grant.
To totally top of the idea that they are growing up, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.........I had to go to the High School with Dakota, to register him for his freshman year. It seems like just yesterday when I became his mom. He was all of 3 years old and didn't like the idea of having to share his dad with me. Now he calls me mom and I proudly call him son. I didn't need to give birth to him to be his mother. I love him as much as I do my own.


So - they are growing up and I am getting old and the world keeps turning..........but that's the way it should be and I am starting to get used to it......(a little bit). One thing I know for sure, I am gonna miss this!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liar!! You are not getting used to it and you probably never will. Your daughter will be home or talking to you so much it will be as if she never left. And as for the boys they have a few more years before you have to go through it again. THEN just think, it will be ALL over! That is the time you will not know what to do with yourself. But in the mean time, enjoy ever moment! So keep your head high and remember your friends always love you. Jessica

Anonymous said...

Don't you find it funny that there are thousands of books available like "What to expect when you're expecting" to help us get through the 9 months of pregnancy, but very few instruction manuals to help us through the transition from "parent" to "parent of an adult child". Teen, you've done an amazing job of raising your daughter to be a thoughtful, kind, honest woman. That's no easy task. But she couldn't have become that kind of a person without your example every day. I signed up the boys for high school this morning, also, so I can sympathize with you there. I think as parents, we walk a fine line between parent and friend as they get older. Sometimes, I think the most difficult hurdle is raising the kids without losing ourselves. My mother said that raising your child is difficult for the first 18 years, but then you'll have another 40-50 years to appreciate them for the friend that they have become. She was a smart lady. Embrace Chanelle's adulthood and the great things that come with it. You're already past the hardest part! Luv yer guts, Ouisa. ps-wow! Grant is so grown up!