Thursday, June 5, 2008

It all seems to be ending.......

Well - graduation came and went and my baby girl is on her own. She moved out the day after graduation. (On only two hours of sleep I might add!!) I was really proud of myself because I actually made it through graduation with only one (yes only 1) kleenex. A couple of tears fell as she walked in, walked across the stage to get her "empty" diploma and when she walked out. So, much to the surprise of others around me and myself, I didn't bawl and carry on like a two year old. Now, that's not to say that that hasn't happened. I tell ya, I did great through the all night party, the moving endless amounts of her crap on only two hours sleep and leaving her apartment at 9:54 pm that night - after putting together a 6 foot shelf (all by myself even). But then monday roled around and the tears started and up until last night were still falling, and at some of the most inopportune times as well. Chanelle, you may have left home, but you will never leave my heart. Thank you for the gray hair, the wrinkles, the stretch marks, the bags under my eyes and the ulcers. Thank you for the laughs, the tears and the pains that I have been so blessed to experience while raising you. Thank you for being my best friend at times and for trusting me to lead you in the right direction.....even though sometimes my judgment wasn't the greatest. Most of all, Thank you for being the greatest daughter any mother could hope for. I love you and I miss you!
Her graduation was great and didn't last nearly as long as I had dreaded it lasting. The speaker was great - his advice to the graduates was simply this....."Pick a career that makes you happy - Money isn't everything!" That brings me to the next ending in my life. I have chosen a career that makes me very happy and the money isn't that great. I have struggled my entire life to survive and still be able to give my kids everything they could ever need or want. I truly enjoy what I do and my choice would not change if I had it to do all over. During my career I have been blessed to work with some of the greatest people you would ever want to meet. One of these such people is retiring this month and so ends a long standing working relationship. I have survived the retirement of several people through out my career but I will tell you this is one that I am only hoping to survive. The Honorable Judge Mark A. Beebe is retiring after 23 years of being a Magistrate Judge. I have had the honor of working with him for the last 4 years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. He is one of the most caring individuals I have ever met in my life. I have blogged about this man before and believe me, he deserves retirement. No one has ever worked so hard to change peoples lives for the better, and he is a great example to anyone who knows him. So as my time with Judge Beebe, known as "The Wizard" to me, comes to an end.....I salute you sir..........thank you so much for all of the wisdom you so graciously bestow upon me daily, thank you for your patience while I learn, thank you for your understanding when I fail, thank you for trusting me to make decisions and walk alone sometimes and for picking me up when I fall. Most of all..........Thank you for just being you.
So as my life seems to have some endings............it also has some new beginnings and I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead for me. I am sure that the lessons learned from these two people,who are so important to me, will carry me over, around and through all of the obstacles that might stand in the way. Thank you both for being a part of my life and know that my prayers and love go with you as you start the next chapter of your lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is your lazy anonymous commenter again.

All I have to say is "Very well said"!!!

sandra n mel said...

You always do such a nice job on your blog! I guess some of us are too lazy to keep up with ours!! (or too busy playin 'rocket man' on the swing!!)

Before long my babies will be moving on with their lives. Seems hard to believe. How did my oldest get to be 10 years old when he was just born yesterday?

Anonymous said...

Okay, now you've done it. I'm sobbing and I can't see the screen through the tears... Awesome post, though. You should pat yourself on the back for raising such an amazing and grounded and well-adjusted young woman, through a lot, and singlehandedly a chunk of the way. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I can only hope that I do as great a job being a dad as you have being a mom.

S